What are the common symptoms?
* fever (common)
* sore throat (common)
* muscle pains
* severe headache
* general discomfort
What is the treatment?
* Tamiflu (anti-viral medication) within 48 hrs of becoming unwelll
* Panadol, rest and fluids (do NOT take aspirin)
* If you do not respond other medications may be needed (fibrate)
Can I avoid catching it if I have been in contact with someone who is sick?
* Yes, Tamiflu 75mg once daily before you get sick
Can I be tested?
* Yes, there is a rapid test (overnight result)
* You need to get a patholgy form from me and go to the lab in Crows Nest
Can I die from swine flu if I am fit and healthy?
* Very unlikely, however if you become sick rapidly in the first 48 hrs you must see a doctor and start treatment immediately
Who is most at risk?
* People with heart or lung disease
* People who are very unfit
* Pregnant women
* Over 65 yo